Sierra Club is going all out for the Green New Deal. It is not something any of us can afford to set out. The GND is fossil free. Those of us who have worked so long to close Indian Point have to be involved at every level to make sure it is also uranium free. Sierra is anti nuclear but not everyone is.
Here is an opportunity to brush up on some skills or learn new ones. You can watch the videos of the live events at the above website. Topics include Media Training, Lobbying Training, Partnership Training. All are well done and useful.
Please do share this website with all interested parties
The movement to grow the Green New Deal is changing the course of history, and you can be a part of it.
The Green New Deal is a bold vision to help us transition from an economy of low wages, toxic pollution, and systemic injustice to one driven by dignified work and 100% clean energy for all. That’s why this summer, thousands of everyday people are joining together to grow the Green New Deal.
From deadly hurricanes in the southeast, to floods in the midwest, to wildfires and droughts in the west, we’re seeing the impacts of the climate crisis here and now. Americans across the country are demanding climate action louder than ever before and increasing the pressure on our elected officials. That’s why 100 Members of Congress have co-sponsored Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Senator Ed Markey’s joint resolution for the Green New Deal and 100,000+ Sierra Club members have already taken action calling for the Green New Deal. As the Trump administration tries to dismantle protections for workers, frontline communities, and our environment, a powerful movement is growing to tackle the twin crises of inequity and climate change.
On July 16, thousands of Sierra Club activists joined a telephone town-hall call with Sierra Club executive director Michael Brune, Sierra Club Living Economy Program campaign strategist Anthony Torres, Sierra Club My Generation Campaign organizer Yassi Kavezade, Sierra Club Living Economy Program director Ben Beachy, Sierra Club Resist Campaign distributed Organizer Chelsea Watson, and Sunrise Movement co-founder Varshini Prakash to discuss how we can keep growing the Green New Deal this summer. Listen to the tele-town hall here.
This summer, we have some key opportunities to take action.
1. Green New Deal Office Drop-Bys
From August 5 to September 6, our members of Congress will go back to their home districts to meet with their constituents. When they come home, Sierra Club activists will be at their offices, asking them to stand with us in growing the vision of a Green New Deal through 100% clean energy economy. We want a homegrown clean energy economy that starts with the grassroots. That’s why this summer, we are launching our mobilization to Grow the Green New Deal. Starting in our communities we’ll be taking our vision to our legislators to ask them to help make a 100% clean energy future a reality. To symbolize this growth, we’ll be dropping by their offices with some of our own flowers, fruits, vegetables, herbs, seeds, maybe even art and other garden goodies to remind them that just as we can grow food to feed and nourish ourselves and others, we need a just, clean energy economy that sustains us and allows all of our communities to thrive.
Excited to plan your Growing the Green New Deal lobby visit or drop-by?
- Tell us that you’re taking action by filling out this form! Let us know when and where you’ll be doing your garden drop-by.
- Read through our Lobby Toolkit. This toolkit will guide you through how to have a lobby meeting or do a drop-by, give tips for calling and meeting with your members of conference, social media guidance and templates, lobby leave behind materials, and more.
- Catch up on our lobby training by watching the recording and checking out the slideshere.
- Take Action starting August 5th! Don’t forget to take photos and videos and post on social. Make to include the caption Growing a #GreenNewDeal and tag @sierraclub in your posts.
- Report back. Please fill out this form to let us know how the meeting went and what your congressperson said.
2. Online Training Series
This summer, we’re hosting a series of webinars that will be crucial opportunities to connect with other Green New Deal activists, gain new skills, and develop your plans for our Growing a Green New Deal Mobilization and beyond! Sign up for the webinars you’re interested in below.
- Monday, 7/22 @ 7pm ET – Lobby Training: Congress, Grow the Green New Deal!
- Monday, 7/29 @ 7pm ET – Media Training: How to talk to the press and write Letters to the Editor
- Tuesday, 8/6 @ 8pm ET – Partnerships Training: How to work with Sierra Club chapters, partner groups, and youth
- Wednesday 8/14 @ 8 pm ET – Lobby Training: Congress, Grow the Green New Deal! [Option #2]
Questions: reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with questions with subject line: Growing a Green New Deal Questions and they’ll get back to you as soon as they can.