Dear Constituent,

I wanted to bring your attention to a few things that may be of interest to you.

Write to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) about Indian Point

One of the most pressing issues for our community is the upcoming decommissioning of Indian Point Energy Center. As some of you may know, I have become increasingly concerned about Holtec, the company who has submitted a request to take on the decommissioning of Indian Point. After looking into the company’s history, I fear that they might not take seriously the procedural safeguards that are necessary to safely shut down Indian Point and protect the spent fuel rods on site.

I am asking you to join me in writing to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) so that we can hold Holtec accountable and be sure that our community is kept in safe hands. I am requesting that the NRC take some of the technical, fiscal, and ethical concerns surrounding Holtec into more serious consideration, and that they set up a public hearing to answer questions from the community.

As part of this effort I want to direct you to the NRC website where you can voice your comments and concerns up until February 24th, 2020. I have included a template letter that you should feel free to use either as-is, edit to insert any other concerns you may have, or you may write your own letter. You can submit statements to the NRC by any of the following methods:

  • Federal Rulemaking Website: Go to and search for Docket ID NRC-2020-0021. Address questions about NRC docket IDs in to Jennifer Borges; telephone: 301-287-9127; email: For technical questions, contact the individual listed in the FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT section of this document.
  • Email comments to: If you do not receive an automatic email reply confirming receipt, then contact them at 301-415-1677.
  • Fax comments to: Secretary, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission at 301-415-1101.
  • Mail comments to: Secretary, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001, ATTN: Rulemakings and Adjudications Staff.

Be sure to read additional information about this comment submission process here:

Have the Red Cross Install Free Smoke Detectors in your Home:

Are you in need of a smoke detector? The American Red Cross is currently offering a service where they will come to your home and install a fire alarm, free of charge for all who submit a request. To make an installation appointment, call 877-733-2767 or visit

What You Need to Get an Enhanced Driver’s License or a Real lD:

Starting this October, in order to fly domestically you will need either an Enhanced Driver’s License, a Real ID, or start bringing your passport with your standard driver’s license. A Real ID can be used on all domestic flights. An Enhanced Driver’s License can also be used on all domestic flights in addition to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean.

To get a Real ID or Enhanced Driver’s License visit your local DMV office. Obtaining a Real ID is free of charge and an Enhanced Driver’s License is $30. You will need to bring a handful of documents with you, so be sure to come prepared with:

  • Proof of identity, such as valid license, birth certificate or passport, with your full first, middle (if applicable) and last name. This name will be displayed on your card as required by federal law.
  • Proof of Social Security Number or Social Security Number ineligibility. If you have a valid NY license, permit or ID card, you must bring your original Social Security card or W-2 with full SSN. If you do not have a New York State driver license or identification card, you must bring your Social Security Card or a letter from the Social Security Administration proving your ineligibility to have a social security number.
  • Proof of your date of birth.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency or temporary lawful status in the United States.
  • Two different proofs of New York State residence, such as utility bill, bank statement or mortgage statement (a P.O. Box not acceptable).
  • If the name on your license, permit, or non-driver ID application does not match the name on your proof of identity, lawful status and Social Security, you must bring in court- or government-issued proof documenting the event causing your name change(s), such as a marriage license, divorce decree, adoption, or court-order document.

For more information, visit

I hope this information if helpful to you. As always please call my office at (914) 941-1111 with any further questions or concerns.

Sandy Galef